WELCOME

Thank you for checking out my blog. Just as the name states, I'm focusing on Fashion, Art and Music. The "BAG" stands for my love of bags as well as the bag I'll create writing my blog.



Saturday, July 30, 2011

ALEXANDER McQUEEN MET SAVAGE BEAUTY

This is my Maiden Voyage!

As a long time lover of fashion, avant-garde holds a very special place in every designer’s heart.  There is a struggle from within of what is seen as “commercial” and what’s art.  We all wish we could be as creative and successful as “Lee” (as he was known to his close friends) and the still have the ability to be financially successful.

My friends and I decided to make this the Sunday activity of our annual girlfriend’s weekend.  After waiting on line for 2 hours (yes-we checked, it was literally 2 hours) we shuffled through the very crowded room to experience one of the most talked about museum exhibits amongst my friends and peers in a very long time.

Alexander McQueen’s designs pushed the concept of art and fashion making conversation amongst his peers necessary.  Every show challenged your concept and beauty and made you ask yourself-“Now why didn’t I think of this before?”…well at least for me.

The MET exhibit (ending on Aug 7th) focused on this same idea and drew the essence of this artist to the masses.  Those of us who always respected and learned form his work and those who have never heard of him before have an opportunity to review these pieces, which will never be created by the master again.  While there will long be discussion of his work, inspiration drawn from his ideas and business obtained from his concepts he is gone.

I loved this show and thank my favorite museum for paying homage to one of the most respected designers of the 21st century.   I was lucky enough to purchase a private exhibit ticket for the show on Monday, when the museum is officially closed.   Because of the show’s popularity opening on Monday was an excellent idea.  There was no wait, but it was pretty much just as crowed  on Monday as Sunday because people lingered and studied as many details as possible; I can’t blame them.

The focus on the tailoring details, the display of his simple ideas made into massive objects with a bit of “cheeky” which questions sex, politics, creed, religion and nationalism would make anyone pause.

The audio allows you to hear first hand from friends, contemporaries and models who knew him who all speak with a sense of reverence and melancholy at the same time.



“It’s the ugly things I notice more, because other people tend to ignore the ugly things.”
A quote from Alexander McQueen which I believe helps to give you a glimpse into the artist and man-but he will never fully be understood.


Check me out at the MET with my
                                                                    necklace.
                                                                     Next post-The Necklace!
                                       
http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/

No comments:

Post a Comment