WELCOME

Thank you for checking out my blog. Just as the name states, I'm focusing on Fashion, Art and Music. The "BAG" stands for my love of bags as well as the bag I'll create writing my blog.



Saturday, September 3, 2011

THE NECKLACE

               The Handmade Necklace [by ME]

As I mentioned in my last post, I wore my handmade necklace [made by me] to the Alexander McQueen Exhibit at the MET.  This necklace is a piece I’ve been thinking about and working on for a long time.   I was very excited to have something of personal expression to wear to the show of man who excelled at personal expression.

 I regularly receive the J.Crew catalog.  I admire J.Crew's ability to take simple concepts, style them in a way which makes the entire outfit unique and add dramatic twist to the simple.   I’ve gotten to the point that I’ve created a collection of the catalog next to my bed!  I constantly flip through them for a fresh idea or “Hmmm-what do I wear today?”       I may not always buy the pieces from J.Crew, I might not always style my outfit the same way as I witnessed in J.Crew but I appreciate their ability to provoke thought and give me direction.

The March 2010 catalog is a particular favorite of mine because they featured their own staff modeling the clothing.  The model/staff member that stuck with me the most was Molly Carey, a Designer for J.Crew.  While Molly’s outfit was one of my favorites, what made her outfit the best was the signature necklace she personally made and added to the outfit.   

Talk about personal style!!

Molly Carey from the J.Crew catalog



With more research, I learned Molly has created a group of these unique and amazing necklaces with J.Crew for sale.  The only problem being that it took some digging to find this out and these necklaces are far from cheap (average cost $495.).   Since I wasn’t aware of Molly’s business when I started my “quest” I decided that it was time to make mine own, in honor of Molly’s one of a kind.
I bought different flowers and corsage ideas from Hobby Lobby and Michaels to create my version, picking various sizes, styles and mediums. I purchased many of these ideas on sale with the most expensive being $7.00 for a white enamel and metal flower approximately 3”in diameter.   

variety of mediums








from Hobby Lobby-$6.99




The 8 ½” x 11” felt square (base/backing for the flowers) cost me $.29 cents.  The most difficult part of my design was sticking with a color theme.  Shopping at Hobby-Lobby and Michaels I found there are so many different types of decorations, beading and flowers that it’s easy to pull together many different versions of this necklace.  Wal-Mart also has a great sewing section and collection of flowers I could have used, although I found this out too late to use on my necklace.
flowers at Wal-Mart..not bad


Since pink is my favorite color, I decided to use it as the strongest color story for my necklace.  I took a cue from Molly’s version and offset the necklace with a bit of contrast.   Molly used green for her contrast, but I found the most darling aqua corsage for my necklace.  Copper worked as the best compliment metal to pink, so that was the focus for this necklace.


copper looks great with PINK





















So-using incredibly unique beads I found in metal, enamel, plastic and silk, I’ve created my own version.  In total, the necklace cost me about $30.00; the cost of all components including the straps (silk shantung) purchased by the yard and cut in bias strips.

All in all-I think I did pretty well.  I have exactly what I wanted; it’s unique even from Molly’s necklace and it’s much less expensive than anything J.Crew would have offered.


You can do the same thing! 

  • Focus on a color story. Mine was pink, my favorite color.
  • Choose a contrast color that will give the necklace statement. Mine was aqua. Molly’s was acid green.
  • Play with the layout on a sheet of paper to help focus the overall look and give you a visual of the basic layout and size. You can then use this piece of paper as the pattern for the felt.
  • Trace your pattern piece on your fabric backing. I used for the felt and approximately ½” smaller for the wool fabric.
  • Take your time!!  The more time and care you put into the necklace the better your results.
  • Sew the components on to your fabric.  It’s better to sew the components than to glue because the necklace will be sturdier and last longer.  Some components may have to be glued but it’s better to have a few pieces glued to the necklace than a lot of glue all over your masterpiece.
  • 
    layout of paper for preview






Remember to have FUN!!

I hope your version turns out as great as Molly’s and mine (what I think anyway).

Best of Luck!!

MY NECKLACE










No comments:

Post a Comment